Doubleweave Mug Rugs

Last year I finally got a copy of Jennifer Moore’s *Doubleweave*, and have been working my way through parts of it. One of the things I made was a set of mug rugs (always convenient for trying out new techniques at small scale) in a windows draft. I had some blue yarn from an early batt blending experiment that I needed to find a use for, so I designed my project around that.

mindowpane mug rugs 0817175994I’m a big fan of complementary color schemes. I planned five columns of windows, narrower at the sides and increasing towards the center. These columns would use a progression of yellow-orange and orange at the sides, with red-orange as the center column. This color order would be repeated in the weft.

doubleweave mug rugs 1116176025I was very happy with how they turned out.

red-orange-blue twill yardage 0817175995I ended up with quite a bit more of the oranges than I needed, but I ran out blue weft early. Rather than scrap additional foot of weaveable warp, I cut off the mug rugs and re-threaded for a straight 2/2 twill, planning to weave it off with the leftover oranges in plaid-like stripes.

I was pleasantly surprised by the resulting fabric. I had expected the color-and-weave effect of two complementaries to be muddier, the way they are in the plain weave stripes on the back of the mug rugs, but the twill lines reduced that effect considerably. doubleweave mug rugs 1116176029

I ended up with just enough yardage to make a small tote bag.tote bag 1116176040

tote bag 1116176035

 

 

 

Advertisements

Bag Yardage

Now that I’ve got a handle on what to do with all this drum-carded wool that I’ve got, I’m working on handwoven yardage made from it.  I’m thinking small project bags, tote bags, journal covers, etc.

I have started with an undulating twill that I’ve always wanted to try, and am very pleased with the results. I’m using a 10/2 commercial cotton warp in a very dark forest green with a handspun 2-ply weft using the drum carding technique I described earlier.I really like the way the variegated yarn that results works with this draft.

undulating-twill-finished-1228165593

The pattern is a little less distinct after wet finishing, but it’s still beautiful, and an appropriate weight for the projects I have in mind.

Now that I have the yardage, I need to start working on patterns.  I know there are a lot of patterns for bags and journal covers out there, but none of them are really what I’m looking for.  Fortunately I have a good stash of fabric remnants in a variety of weights, so I have plenty of supplies for design and experimentation!