Last year I finally got a copy of Jennifer Moore’s *Doubleweave*, and have been working my way through parts of it. One of the things I made was a set of mug rugs (always convenient for trying out new techniques at small scale) in a windows draft. I had some blue yarn from an early batt blending experiment that I needed to find a use for, so I designed my project around that.
I’m a big fan of complementary color schemes. I planned five columns of windows, narrower at the sides and increasing towards the center. These columns would use a progression of yellow-orange and orange at the sides, with red-orange as the center column. This color order would be repeated in the weft.
I was very happy with how they turned out.
I ended up with quite a bit more of the oranges than I needed, but I ran out blue weft early. Rather than scrap additional foot of weaveable warp, I cut off the mug rugs and re-threaded for a straight 2/2 twill, planning to weave it off with the leftover oranges in plaid-like stripes.
I was pleasantly surprised by the resulting fabric. I had expected the color-and-weave effect of two complementaries to be muddier, the way they are in the plain weave stripes on the back of the mug rugs, but the twill lines reduced that effect considerably.
I ended up with just enough yardage to make a small tote bag.