A couple of years ago I set a personal challenge to make at least one complete outfit entirely from fabric that I had spun, woven, and sewn myself. This is where that project starts.
When I was a relatively new spinner I made a common newbie mistake, and treated a raw fleece I was washing a little too impatiently. It wasn’t a total disaster, but there was a little felting on the cut ends.
I did what I usually do when I want a “solid”color, which is to dye the fleece in a selection of my base colors, then blend them on the drum carder. Unfortunately I also chose this fiber-blending project to try using a swing picker for the first time. It was not, on the whole, what I had expected. The picker only exacerbated the problem, tearing the fiber where the ends had felted together. I had also not done a good enough job removing the second cuts from the fleece. The result was a fairly neppy batt. I was not about to let that stop me. I found I liked the tweedy pops of color that the neps made, so I decided to think of it as a “design element” and called it good.
I let those batts sit for a number of years as Life happened. When I decided to start this project I realized these neppy, tweedy batts would be perfect for plain twill yardage. I spun a bit over 11 oz of wool into a bit over 3000 yards of singles at roughly 4500 yards per pound – about the size of heavy-duty sewing thread.
This was the easy part. Next I had to spin enough similar yarn for warp!